Roof Cleaning Services - What to Look For
Published on Wednesday, 15 August 2012
A house which is well-maintained and clean can speak volumes about its owner. One of the ways of maintaining a house is by cleaning the roof. People who want to renovate their roofs usually opt for removing the old tiles and putting new ones. This, however, is quite costly. There are also those who hire roof cleaning services who clean the roof thoroughly and make it look as good as new.
So what exactly do cleaning services do? These professional cleaners apply a special chemical on the tiles which removes mold, lichen, algae and fungus. These eat away the roof over time and if you don't clean it, it can soon be unsalvageable. These substances grow at moist places and put at risk the strength of the roof. Roof cleaners can additionally apply a coating which prevents those substances from a regrowth, but if you choose this method, make sure the warranty is at least three years. The methods of roof cleaning companies vary - some use pressure water, others don't. There is a popular debate and uncertainty whether pressure washing helps or damages further. Most roof cleaners don't concentrate on cleaning particular spots, but clean the whole surface to preserve the integrity of the roof. An exception is when the homeowner is asked by their insurance company or association of homeowners to clean their roof. The roof of a house is generally exposed to various influences and weather conditions - rain, wind, dust, sun, hail, etc. It is exposed to carbon pollution as well, which is a man-made element. Roof cleaning services are supposed to bring the roof its former look and keep it like that for a while. Here are the most important factors which you need to consider when looking for professional roof cleaning services:
- Assessment of what your roof requires- There are different types of house roofs. That's why a good roof cleaner must firstly give an assessment of the type of roof and recommend what they need to be able to clean that roof in particular. Different roofs require different methods and ways of cleaning.
- Estimating the costs - After doing the initial assessment, the roof cleaning company should come with a cost estimate for their services. They should also be able to give you a checklist, so you know what you are paying for.
- Check on the expertise and recommendations of the roof cleaning company - You should know how proficient they are and what is their ground for the price of their services. You can do this by checking their records and their previous clients. Also, you must always check if they have the necessary local certifications for carrying out their services.
- Ask about the particular roof cleaning services that they are offering - The basic roof cleaning services which most of these companies offer are: treatment of moss and prevention of its regrowth, washing the tiles with a chemical detergent, pressure air blowing, pressure washing and composition roof treatments.
- Cleaning equipment and supplies- The cleaning materials used by the roof cleaners should be modern-day ones, because only they can guarantee the best results, which will last longer.
The above useful tips should give you a basic idea on what to look for when choosing a roof cleaning company and what to expect from their services. Be aware that roof cleaning is an investment which is not done every other month, so it's best to look for a reputable company, even if it charges a bit higher than the average. At least you will rest assured that they will do a great job. More news